Makes ~eight rolls
This recipe was first developed by our second baker, Kerry Neely, and refined by all of our bakers since. The version below has been adapted to the home kitchen by our pastry chef, Stephanie Cutshall. Stephanie likes to experiment with different fillings and you should too!
Dough1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 ¼ cups buttermilk
8 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
¼ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup canola oil
Bacon / Cheese Filling
- Warm buttermilk to 105 degrees and sprinkle in yeast to dissolve. Wait 5-10 min until foamy.
- In standing mixer, add yeast mixture, flour, sugar, salt, eggs, baking soda, and oil
- Mix on medium speed with dough hook for 15 min
- Put dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled. 1-1.5 hours
- On well-floured surface, roll out dough into rectangle roughly 12x16 inches
- For bacon/cheese rolls, brush evenly with olive oil and then sprinkle bacon and cheese evenly over the dough.
- For vegetarian rolls, blend pesto and cream cheese, then spread mixture over dough and top with cheese and artichoke hearts.
- Roll dough into log starting on long side so it's roughly 16 inches long.
- Slice into 2 inch rolls. Place rolls on parchment lined baking sheet almost touching each other.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until nice and puffed. About 30-45 minutes
- Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes or until thermometer reads 190-200